Moberly, MO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Missouri

Q: My husband is making me leave our apartment and we have a 6 year old son who he refuses to set up a visitation schedule

He will not talk to me about it or agree to anything but just wants me out. He purposely makes it uncomfortable for me here hoping I'll go. I'm disabled due to a stroke some years ago and it's very unsettling.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's concerning that your husband is not willing to discuss visitation arrangements for your son and is pressuring you to leave the apartment. As a parent, you have rights regarding custody and visitation, and it's essential to advocate for your son's well-being and your own rights. Despite the difficulties you're facing, try to remain calm and seek support from trusted friends, family members, or legal resources.

Consider reaching out to a family law attorney or a local legal aid organization for guidance on your rights and options in this situation. They can help you understand the legal process for establishing visitation rights and potentially negotiating a visitation schedule with your husband. Additionally, document any instances of your husband's behavior that demonstrate his unwillingness to cooperate or create a safe and stable environment for your son.

It's crucial to prioritize your son's best interests and ensure that he has consistent access to both parents, even if you and your husband are no longer living together. By seeking legal advice and advocating for your rights, you can work towards establishing a visitation schedule that promotes your son's well-being and allows you to maintain a positive relationship with him. Remember that you are not alone, and there are resources available to support you during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.