Jersey City, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: If you max out on a five flat but still owe 800 dollars on your fines from your conviction do they keep you on parole

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Louis A Casadia
Louis A Casadia pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hammonton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I can tell you that if you were on probation, they would terminate you from probation and send the outstanding fines to supervised collections. If you literally maxed out the entire 5 years then they would likely just convert the fine into a judgement, but if you still had some "time" left on the max sentence they would set collection hearings where they would essentially try to get as much money out of you as they can and then issue a bench warrant if you fail to appear for any hearing. They can even seize any bail you posted and put it towards the unpaid fines. If you failed to pay your fines on parole but made a good faith effort they cannot simply violate you solely due to unpaid fines. They may follow the same process described above though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.