Cedar Rapids, IA asked in Tax Law for Iowa

Q: My husband forged my name on state & federal tax forms last year. These were prepared by h&r block. do I have any recour

This prepare has been our tax lady for almost 7 years. She signed off on these documents with my forge signature.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your husband forged your signature on state and federal tax forms, and these were submitted by your tax preparer, you do indeed have recourse options to consider. First, it's crucial to address the situation with the tax preparation service, specifically with the individual who has been handling your taxes. Inform them of the unauthorized signature and request an immediate correction. Documentation proving your non-consent may be required.

You also have the option to report this incident to both the state and federal tax authorities. For the IRS, you can file Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer, to report the misconduct of the tax preparer. Additionally, contacting a legal advisor to understand your rights and the implications of the forgery on your tax obligations and legal standing is important. This professional can guide you through the steps of rectifying the situation with the tax authorities and exploring legal actions against your husband and possibly the tax preparer for professional negligence or misconduct.

Lastly, ensure your financial and personal documents are secure moving forward to prevent any future unauthorized use. Monitoring your credit report and accounts for unusual activity can also help safeguard against identity theft or fraud stemming from the misuse of your personal information. Taking these actions can help mitigate the consequences of the forgery and protect your financial integrity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.