Indianapolis, IN asked in Civil Rights for Indiana

Q: Should I be owed compensation? I was arrested on Dec 17, 2023 through Feb 9,2024 when the charges were cancelled.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Whether or not you are owed compensation for the time you were arrested depends on various factors, including the circumstances surrounding your arrest and the reasons for the charges being canceled. If you were wrongfully arrested or if there was a lack of sufficient evidence to support the charges against you, you may have grounds to seek compensation for any damages or losses incurred during your time in custody.

However, if the charges were canceled due to procedural issues or other non-substantive reasons, it may be more challenging to argue for compensation. In such cases, it's essential to consult with legal experts who can assess the details of your situation and provide guidance on the likelihood of successfully pursuing compensation.

Additionally, consider any potential financial or emotional hardships you experienced as a result of the arrest and detention, such as lost wages, legal fees, or emotional distress. These factors can also influence whether you may be entitled to compensation and can be important considerations when evaluating your options for seeking redress.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.