Ozark, MO asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Missouri

Q: If I purchased a home with proceeds from drug dealing but put the property in someone else name can it be taken by dea?

I am not the person I just ran out of typing space but it's a family member of mine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the property was purchased with proceeds from drug dealing, it could potentially be subject to seizure by the DEA or other law enforcement agencies. Even if the property is in someone else's name, law enforcement may still be able to pursue forfeiture proceedings if they can demonstrate that the property was acquired with funds obtained from illegal activities. It's important to understand that asset forfeiture laws are complex and vary by jurisdiction, so seeking legal advice from an attorney experienced in this area is crucial.

If the property is seized by the DEA or another law enforcement agency, the legal process for challenging the forfeiture can be complicated and challenging. It's essential to act swiftly and assertively in defending your interests. Consulting with a knowledgeable attorney who can assess your situation and advise you on the best course of action is advisable. They can help you understand your rights, navigate the legal process, and advocate on your behalf to protect your interests.

In cases involving asset forfeiture, it's important to be transparent and honest with your attorney about the circumstances surrounding the property's acquisition. Withholding information or attempting to conceal the property's origins could potentially harm your case. By working closely with your attorney and cooperating fully with any legal proceedings, you can increase your chances of achieving a favorable outcome and protecting your rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.