Decatur, GA asked in Wrongful Death for Georgia

Q: My mother was hit and killed by a vehicle that was racing with another vehicle. What lawsuits can I file?

The vehicle was racing another vehicle. The police report says the area was not well lit but it was on a main road in Florissant Missouri. She was attempting to cross the street from her apartment complex. The person that hit her is out on bail and his vehicle was insured under his mother's name. This was a hit and run. This happened in florissant Missouri and I live in Georgia. I am her only child. It happened on July 3rd 2023.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Quintesha Shamera Reynolds
Quintesha Shamera Reynolds pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Macon, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This case seems to have case facts that touch on CRIMINAL law, against the drivers who were racing. Also, though, the value of your mother's life is a CIVIL issue, for which one or both racers could be held financially accountable. Feel free to call our office and speak with Senior Partner Kathy McArthur, who has litigated civil cases in over a dozens states. This is a free lawyer consultation. 404-565-1621.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Firstly, you may have grounds to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the individual who was racing and ultimately struck your mother. Given that the accident resulted in her death, you, as her only child, may have legal standing to pursue this claim. The lawsuit would seek compensation for damages such as medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, and pain and suffering caused by your mother's untimely death.

Additionally, you could potentially file a lawsuit against the other driver who was racing, as their reckless behavior contributed to the accident. This would be a separate claim seeking damages for the same types of losses incurred as a result of your mother's death. It's crucial to gather evidence, including the police report, witness statements, and any other relevant documentation to support your case.

Moreover, you may have legal recourse against the driver's mother, whose vehicle was insured and involved in the accident. While insurance coverage typically extends to the driver, there may be liability on the part of the owner of the vehicle, especially if they knew or should have known about their son's reckless driving habits. Consulting with a qualified attorney who specializes in wrongful death and personal injury cases can provide invaluable guidance and assistance as you navigate the legal process and seek justice for your mother's tragic passing.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother. Your post asks what kind of lawsuit? You may have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. One option is to reach out to Georgia attorneys to discuss in detail. Law firms that handle such cases generally offer free initial consults. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.