Bellevue, NE asked in Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Getting divorced in Nebraska. she has terminal cancer. She's still on my health insurance. Proceed with divorce?

Do I spend money to file? I assume if I we don't proceed I'd be responsible for unpaid medical.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Yes, you are potentially responsible for your spouse's medical debt in Nebraska, especially if you are the guarantor of the party's health insurance. In Nebraska, a divorce is a process that includes a 60 day mandatory waiting period before you can finalize the divorce, even if both parties are in agreement. Generally the Court requires a spouse to keep the other spouse on their health insurance while the divorce case is pending and can order the spouse to continue to carry the other spouse on health insurance for up to 6 months months after the divorce decree is finalized.

Vanessa Jean Gorden agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.