Boston, MA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Divorced. 50/50 on our children’s expenses, only my ex-spouse turns in reimbursement receipts far beyond her means?

In Shreveport, LA. Our judgement says 50/50, but my ex enrolled our kids in stuff neither of us can afford, and she has admitted she has her parents pay her portion of the expensive tuition she chose because she cannot afford it (neither of us can), while still seeking reimbursement from me. What are my options?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Shreveport, LA, if your ex-spouse is enrolling your children in activities that neither of you can afford and seeking reimbursement for expenses beyond the agreed terms, your options may include requesting a modification of the existing child support and expense-sharing order. You can petition the court to clarify or modify the terms regarding which types of expenses are to be shared, potentially limiting them to those that are necessary and affordable for both parties. It's advisable to document the financial impact of these expenses and your communication with your ex-spouse about them.

Randy Bryan Ligh agrees with this answer

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Sounds like you have an Order from the Court detailing this arrangement----if you had a lawyer involved wit this then speak to your lawyer about these concerns. If you are no longer represented, then you should consult with a family lawyer in your area---that lawyer will want to see the Order in effect so that he can advise whether or not these things are improper anbd or contradictory to the Order or if the recommendation is to go to Court and have the Order modified. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.