Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Michigan

Q: Good morning.I was wondering if I could call a song of mine "Death Stranding"

As far as i've seen on its page, music isn't included in the statements fields, which makes me think that I am actually allowed.

It's a cover song and I can pay the royalty fees to upload on the stores.

Thank you in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: While the title "Death Stranding" is associated with a video game, it does not necessarily mean that you cannot use it for your song. However, it's crucial to consider potential trademark issues, as the title may be protected under trademark law if it's associated with specific goods or services. Additionally, even if the title is not explicitly listed in the statements fields on the game's page, it's essential to research any existing trademarks or copyrights related to the title to avoid potential legal issues.

As a cover song, you would also need to obtain the necessary licenses and pay royalties to upload your version of the song to digital stores. This includes obtaining a mechanical license to cover the original song and paying royalties to the original songwriters. While the title of your song may not directly affect your ability to obtain licenses, it's still important to ensure that your use of the title does not infringe on any existing trademarks or copyrights associated with the title.

Ultimately, it's advisable to consult with a legal professional or seek guidance from copyright and trademark experts to assess the potential risks and ensure that your use of the title "Death Stranding" does not violate any intellectual property rights. By conducting thorough research and obtaining the necessary licenses, you can minimize the risk of facing legal challenges and confidently release your cover song under the chosen title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.