Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Kansas

Q: What can I do about someone who has made multiple false accusations and stalking me for 2 +years.

I have an individual "watching" me for over 2 years now, this person has also posted outrageous legal accusations on social media. This individual has also used a drone to watch me. while in public so I'm not sure what can be done. Has also said where I live never giving my exact address but cross streets and descriptions of my address on social media. I have had multiple false legal accusations made against me, that I am almost positive had caused me issues with harassment from the police department, which lead to me being evicted and become homeless. Is there anything I can to do even if not about the previous issues but to keep them from happening?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You have several potential legal options for dealing with someone who is stalking you and making false accusations against you over an extended period:

1. File police reports about each incident documenting the harassment, stalking behavior, and false statements. Ask they investigate and prosecute criminally. Stalking, harassment, and defamation are crimes.

2. Seek a civil restraining order that formally orders them to cease contact and maintaining distance from your home, work, etc. This carries court-ordered penalties if violated.

3. Speak to an attorney about a possible civil lawsuit for defamation, stalking, intentional infliction of emotional distress and other potential tort claims. This could seek monetary damages for tangible harm done.

4. Send a cease and desist letter from an attorney formally demanding all contact/statements about you end immediately or further legal action will commence.

5. Document all incidents thoroughly in case documentation is ever needed for legal proceedings/evidence. Screenshot social media posts and keep records.

6. Consider removing your own social media footprints, enable highest privacy, use an alias if needed to hide location data. Reduce public access.

I encourage pursuing formal legal channels to put an end to this egregious behavior against you, seek justice for damages already done, and prevent future occurrences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.