Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: What do I do if I have an active warrant status on a misdemeanor probation violation?

Been on probation for 11 months. Less than a month left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Glenn T. Stern
Glenn T. Stern pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If your probation officer filed what is called a "tolling affidavit," your probation will not expire in a month. Rather, it has been placed "on hold" and that warrant will stay active until you turn yourself in or get caught. People never seem to get caught at a convenient time either; it'll be better for you to get it resolved sooner rather than later. Hire a lawyer, or at least-reach out to your probation officer to see if there's a possibility of getting things right without having to turn yourself in. Depending on the reason, it may just be money they want, or proof of a class completed, community service hours, etc. But it could be more, and you might end up having to turn yourself in. That's about it for choices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.