Sterling Heights, MI asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: cops told me no contact with a guy the guy got into contact with me, i ding dong ditched his house can i get charged?

My girlfriends ex was harassing us, i told him i would defend myself if he took it any further because he tried to meet up. he called the cops on me and the cops told me not to get into contact with him and he cant with me or my girlfriend anymore, he eventually broke that rule 2 months later and contacted my girlfriend and i. i am 17 and he is 18. i went to the house his mother lives, i went knocked on the door, and chickened out the talk with his mom so i ran away. i then got pulled out of class by a investigator for a interview and questioning. no rights were read to me and my parents did not know about it at all. I had no warning of not to go to his mothers house, and the guy already broke the rule that he called. It is his mother that is pressing charges against me even though i was never warned to stay away from her. Can i get charged?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Big life lesson here: why are you fighting stupid with stupid? He already called the cops on you; what makes you think he wouldn't call again? What did you think was going to come from you going to his mom's house? You are needlessly putting yourself in situations you don't need to be in.

Can you be charged? We'd have to know a lot more about what happened but it doesn't take much to be charged with a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.