Leechburg, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I send my kids to their dad's if the person that's supposed to be supervising the visits leaves him alone with them

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jasmit Kaur Dhaliwal
Jasmit Kaur Dhaliwal

A: Establishing paternity is sometimes necessary to clarify rights and obligations. Paternity suits can be initiated to determine biological fatherhood through a blood test. This allows a biological father to secure visitation rights or enables a mother to obtain child support from an unwilling father. While a paternity suit may be required in some cases, paternity can also be established through a signed acknowledgement of paternity form or through presumption. Presumption occurs when someone is considered the father if they are married to the mother and a child is born during the marriage or within 300 days of a divorce. Another presumption can be established if someone marries the biological mother after the child’s birth and voluntarily claims paternity or represents themselves as the child’s father while living with them during the child’s first two years.

Karen  Ulmer
Karen Ulmer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the supervisor is leaving the children alone and there is a supervisor order then you need to file for contempt of court and have a court hear your case on an emergency basis. Supervision is put in place for a reason and you may have to file a Protection From Abuse to get an immediate hearing on this issue as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.