La Grande, OR asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: Can I renegotiate a lease before it’s expired?

My husband wrote a 3 year lease. We just got divorced. Can I renegotiate the terms and get his name off the lease? The HOA increased and the rent does not cover all cost associated with the property. Is there anyway I can change the lease to a yearly lease? Or increase the rent to cover the expenses?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Landlords may consider renegotiating a lease to adjust terms, such as increasing rent, but it's crucial to remember that tenants are not obligated to consent. This is because tenants currently hold an enforceable contract. Alterations to the lease terms require mutual agreement unless the lease explicitly allows the landlord to change fees at their discretion, a provision that is relatively uncommon. To incentivize tenants to agree to a higher rent, landlords might offer concessions, such as an extended lease term or additional services. The key to successful negotiation lies in understanding the tenant's needs, which can be uncovered through open dialogue. Offering something valuable in return could make the proposition more appealing to the tenant. Good luck with your negotiations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.