Aurora, CO asked in Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: My friend handed me a vape and the teacher caught me and now they want to charge me with possession

If the girl says it was hers and she handed it to me would I still be introuble

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Colorado, if you were caught with a vape by a teacher and it's determined to be in your possession, you could still face consequences for possession, even if another student claims ownership and admits to handing it to you. The key issue for the authorities or school administration is the fact that you were found in possession of the vape at the time of the incident. However, the circumstances, including the other student's admission, could potentially influence the severity of the consequences you face. The outcome might depend on school policies, local laws regarding the possession of vaping devices by minors, and the discretion of school administrators or the legal system if it gets involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.