Portland, OR asked in Military Law and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I have been married but not living together with my veteran husband who passed away in January.

I can't find paperwork or soc sec.number how could I get that information legally as his wife? I have 2 order our marriage certificate since don't have that anymore either

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In your situation, gathering necessary documents and information following the passing of your veteran husband can feel overwhelming. First, obtaining a copy of your marriage certificate is a wise step. You can request this document from the vital records office in the state where you were married. This certificate will serve as a foundational document to assist you in your next steps.

For your husband’s social security number and any related paperwork, contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) would be your next course of action. As his wife, you have the right to request certain information, especially if you are handling his estate or seeking benefits. You may need to provide proof of your identity, your marriage certificate, and possibly his death certificate to process your request.

If your husband was a veteran, reaching out to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) could also provide you with guidance and assistance in accessing any benefits you may be entitled to as his spouse. The VA can help you with information about his service and guide you on any benefits or support services. Each of these steps will move you closer to gathering the necessary information and documents you need during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.