Indianapolis, IN asked in Tax Law for Indiana

Q: can someone on the behalf of former owner submit an application for tax deed surplus funds return to owner?

if not does it require business or a lawyer to do so

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Indiana, the process for claiming tax deed surplus funds is guided by specific legal regulations. Generally, the original owner or their legal representative has the right to submit an application for the return of surplus funds. This means that an individual, on behalf of the former owner, can indeed initiate the process, provided they have the legal authority or documentation to act in that capacity.

However, navigating the complexities of tax law and the specific requirements for claiming these funds can be challenging. It is not mandatory to engage a business or lawyer to submit an application for tax deed surplus funds, but having professional legal assistance could be beneficial. A lawyer with experience in tax law and property matters in Indiana would understand the intricacies of the process and could help ensure that the application is properly prepared and submitted, potentially avoiding delays or issues.

If you decide to proceed without professional assistance, it is important to carefully review the relevant state and local regulations. Ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and understand the submission process. The county treasurer's office or the local tax authority where the property is located can provide specific guidance and requirements for submitting an application for tax deed surplus funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.