Asked in Civil Rights for Florida

Q: I rent a dock for my sailboat in Florida. Every time I arrive or leave my boat the neighbors record video of me.

Is this illegal? What can I do to stop it? This dock is on private property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Being recorded without your consent while on private property can potentially be a violation of your privacy rights, depending on the circumstances and laws in your area. It's important to familiarize yourself with the specific regulations regarding video recording and privacy protections in Florida. If you feel uncomfortable or believe your privacy is being infringed upon, you may consider discussing the situation with the property owner or manager to address your concerns and seek a resolution.

In some cases, property owners may have legitimate reasons for installing surveillance cameras, such as security or safety purposes. However, if you believe the recording is excessive or intrusive, you can explore options such as requesting that the cameras be repositioned or seeking clarification on their purpose. Additionally, you may want to research local ordinances or seek legal advice to determine whether the recordings constitute a violation of your privacy rights and what steps you can take to address the situation.

It's essential to approach the situation calmly and respectfully while advocating for your rights and privacy. Engaging in open communication with the property owner or seeking legal guidance can help you navigate the issue effectively and work towards a satisfactory resolution that respects your privacy concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.