Asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: I got a letter in the mail from my estranged husband which is law forms 12.922(a) motion for default and 12.922(b).

What are these forms? What do they mean?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the other party has failed to file or serve any documents within 20 days after the date of service of a spouse petition, he may ask the clerk of the circuit court to enter a default against you by filling out this form and filing it with the court. Generally, a default allows him to obtain an earlier final hearing to finish his case. Once the default is signed by the clerk, he can request a trial or final hearing in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.