Aurora, CO asked in Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: My wife wants a divorce and "agrees" to split everything 50/50. Are we legally obligated to have a lawyer?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Christopher N. Little
Christopher N. Little
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Good question, under Colorado Domestic Relations law, there is no default/affirmative legal obligation to have an attorney represent you in the matter. By the default rules, you are legally permitted to represent yourself. Knowing that the law is complex and self-representation can be a risky endeavor, I suggest you retain (or at least consult) with an attorney licensed in Colorado and qualified in the domestic relations field. Many offices offer free consultations and would be more than happy to discuss your case with you.

I sincerely wish you all the best!

Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: No, although it may be a bad idea.

I believe the Colorado Supreme court just approved a rule regarding licensed Legal Paraprofessionals. I am not sure if it has taken effect yet but it has been a highly contested item. You should look into what they can and can't do. If I recall, they are non-attorneys but can perform certain tasks that attorneys can normally do. My understanding is that they may be able to help fill out certain paperwork. Do your research and ask plenty of questions when you talk to one to ensure they can help you file. But that may be a low-cost option.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.