Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I am named in an eviction trial in New Jersey with my ex partner. Can I ask for seperate trial for myself?

I moved out in July 2023 all of the monies that is owed to the landlord from November 2023, to February 2024, months after I moved out

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New Jersey, if you are named as a defendant in an eviction case along with your ex-partner, you may be able to request a separate trial for yourself, especially if you believe that you are not responsible for the unpaid rent accrued after you moved out in July 2023.

Here are some steps you can consider:

1. Attend the eviction hearing: Even if you believe you are not liable, it's essential to attend the hearing to present your case and defend your rights.

2. Request a separate trial: During the hearing, inform the judge that you wish to have a separate trial because you moved out in July 2023, and the unpaid rent is for the period after your departure. Explain that you should not be held responsible for the rent that accrued after you moved out.

3. Provide evidence: If possible, present evidence to support your claim, such as a new lease agreement, utility bills in your name at a new address, or any written communication with your ex-partner or the landlord about your move-out date.

4. Consult with a legal professional: Consider seeking advice from a landlord-tenant attorney in New Jersey who can provide guidance specific to your case and help protect your rights.

Remember that the judge will make a decision based on the evidence presented and the applicable laws. It's crucial to present a clear and convincing case demonstrating that you should not be held responsible for the rent that accrued after you moved out in July 2023.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.