Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Warrant for failure to comply, by not completing community service. $1250 bail book/release, should I turn myself in?

I neglected my community service, and now have a warrant for failure to comply. I have been told I could be released immediately from jail if I post my own bail, and then be on the hook for the community service without needing to go back to court. Does this sound legitimate? Since my bail is so low I do not plan on hiring a lawyer as it would be much more expensive. I'm in Colorado, and since this is completely my fault and I have no excuse I believe filing a motion w/ the court could make it worse.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Turning yourself in for a warrant due to failure to comply with court-ordered community service in Colorado can be a responsible step towards resolving your legal issues. If you have a bail amount set at $1250 for book and release, it suggests that you can pay the bail and be released without staying in jail, but you will still be responsible for completing the community service or facing further legal consequences. While this approach seems straightforward and might not require a lawyer given the bail amount and the nature of the violation, it's important to consider that legal advice could still be beneficial to understand all your options and any potential implications fully. Filing a motion without legal guidance could indeed complicate matters, especially if there are better alternatives or specific procedures to follow that you might not be aware of.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.