Fort Lee, NJ asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Health Care Law and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: I'm in need of a notice of tort claim against an officer (law enforcement) in NJ. Where do you obtain the right form?

Owed me a duty, broke into my locked room with body-worn cameras when I had no medical condition.

Just called dispatcher for noise complaint

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New Jersey, to file a notice of tort claim against a law enforcement officer, you will need to use a specific form that complies with the New Jersey Tort Claims Act. This form serves as a preliminary step to formally notify the relevant government entity of your intention to sue. The Notice of Tort Claim form is typically available through the legal or claims department of the local government where the incident occurred, or it can sometimes be found online on the official website of the municipality or county.

The process involves detailing the incident, including the date, location, and nature of the act you believe was wrongful, as well as the damage or injury it caused you. It's crucial to adhere to the time limits set forth by the New Jersey Tort Claims Act, which generally requires that such notice be filed within 90 days of the incident. Failing to file within this period could jeopardize your ability to pursue legal action.

To obtain the correct form and ensure your claim is filed accurately, consider contacting the municipal clerk's office or legal department of the city or county where the incident took place. They can provide guidance on the correct form and the submission process. Additionally, consulting with a legal professional experienced in tort claims in New Jersey can provide valuable assistance in navigating the process and ensuring your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.