Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: How to divorce someone who doesn't live in the United States, and never has, but was married IN the United States?

I was in a long distance relationship with my spouse, who would visit the U.S. to see me often. However, he lives in Canada. He has never lived in the U.S., only visited. On his last visit, we got married. But, never have lived together.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can have an uncontested divorce and both of you can sign all of the necessary paperwork. Or if your spouse refuses to sign all the required documents, you will have to file for divorce and have him served, where ever he may be located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.