Champaign, IL asked in Domestic Violence for Illinois

Q: Me and my boyfriend got into a disagreement and he got charged with aggravated battery class2.

Can I not show up in court so they can drop it. He choked me and I passed out but police was called a week after from a family member because they couldn't keep that a secret. I have messages and bruises that proved it. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You may choose to contact the victim witness coordinator at the state's attorney's office. However, if the state chooses to subpoena you, do not evade service and do not fail to abide by the subpoena. You can end up in jail yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.