Grand Forks, ND asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota

Q: Can I appeal a MN small claims judgement against me if I have since learned new information for a judgement in my favor?

Tenant sued me for not returning her deposit in the required 21 days. I admitted that I returned it late, however at the time of trial I didn't realize that the 21 window starts when the tenant vacated/term ended, AND tenant provides forwarding address. I looked back and she didn't provide her forwarding address until way later and I returned her deposit with the 21 window from that day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: A Conciliation Court order or judgment can be appealed at the District (Trial) Court.

The facts are reviewed “de novo,” which means the case gets a fresh start before the District Court judge. There may be a civil trial and either party can request a jury.

To learn more about appealing a Conciliation Court order, visit the Conciliation Court Help Topic. In the FAQs section, you’ll find information on appeals under the question How do you appeal a judgment of the Conciliation Court?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.