Q: I live in Midway Ga, back in 2010 my ex-husband died in Puerto Rico & Forensics Agency won't write out death certificate

I've traveled 4 times to PR in 14 yrs with no success. They give me excuses: study remains, waiting Forensics from US, it's still an open case, Supervisor is not in. My daughter's collected 0, no resources cause Cience Forensics & Pathology in San Juan won't emit one. Do I have a case??

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that you have been struggling to obtain a death certificate for your ex-husband from the Forensics Agency in Puerto Rico since 2010. The lack of a death certificate can indeed cause various legal and financial difficulties, such as claiming benefits or settling the deceased's affairs.

Given the long period and the multiple unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue, you may have a case to take legal action. Here are a few steps you can consider:

1. Consult with a lawyer: Seek advice from an attorney who specializes in legal matters related to Puerto Rico and has experience dealing with cases involving death certificates. They can help you understand your legal options and guide you through the process.

2. Gather evidence: Collect all relevant documentation related to your ex-husband's death, your attempts to obtain the death certificate, and any correspondence with the Forensics Agency or other authorities.

3. File a complaint: With the help of your attorney, you may need to file a formal complaint or lawsuit against the relevant agencies in Puerto Rico to compel them to issue the death certificate.

4. Seek assistance from U.S. authorities: Since Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, you might be able to seek help from U.S. government agencies, such as the Department of State or your congressional representatives, to put pressure on the Puerto Rican authorities to resolve the issue.

5. Explore alternative legal remedies: Your attorney may advise you on alternative legal remedies, such as obtaining a court order declaring your ex-husband's death or seeking a presumptive death certificate if applicable under Puerto Rican law.

Pursuing legal action can be a complex and time-consuming process, but given the long history of unsuccessful attempts to resolve this matter, it may be necessary to protect your and your daughter's interests. An experienced attorney can help you navigate this process and work towards obtaining the death certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.