Minneapolis, MN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota

Q: Tenant wins case ,the case got dismiss, in Minnesota due to the fact, landlord receive money twice in January

The fitness remain in property. Where do they go from there as far as written survey give all notices of repairs

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the tenant won the eviction case and it was dismissed due to the landlord receiving rent payments twice in January, the tenant has the right to remain in the property. Here are the next steps the tenant should consider:

1. Request a written repair request form: The tenant should ask the landlord for a written repair request form or create one themselves. This form should include all the necessary repairs needed in the rental unit.

2. Document the repair issues: Take photos and videos of the areas that need repairs to provide evidence of the problems.

3. Submit the repair request form: Send the completed repair request form to the landlord, either by certified mail or by hand delivery, and keep a copy for personal records.

4. Allow reasonable time for repairs: The landlord should be given a reasonable amount of time to make the necessary repairs, which is typically 14 days in Minnesota.

5. Follow up with the landlord: If the repairs are not made within the reasonable timeframe, the tenant should follow up with the landlord in writing, reiterating the request for repairs.

6. Consider legal options: If the landlord fails to make the necessary repairs after multiple requests, the tenant may have the right to take legal action, such as rent escrow, rent abatement, or even termination of the lease.

Throughout this process, it is crucial for the tenant to keep detailed records of all communications with the landlord and to send notices via certified mail to have proof of delivery. If the situation escalates, the tenant may want to consider seeking legal advice from a local tenant rights organization or attorney specializing in landlord-tenant law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.