Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: My husband and I are divorcing after 23 years of marriage he now lives in Arizona I live in Massachusetts. He retired

On disability and only worked periodically. When he receives my income dies he have to claim that as income and pay taxes on it

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: What do you mean by "when he receives my income?" Generally any income received is taxable. The exception in family law is if you are paying spousal support (alimony) with after tax dollars, meaning that you already paid taxes on those funds, then the receiver does not have to pay taxes again on those funds. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: And what does this have to do with Florida law if you live in Massachusetts?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.