Pittsburgh, PA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Domestic Violence for West Virginia

Q: I am disabled and living in kanawha county, West Virginia. What do I do if I’m being abused by the police? Who can help

I’ve been legally evicted three times and homeless for over a year and now I’m at risk again for homelessness due to the harassment and abuse of power from the local sheriffs department. I need an advocate I’m disabled to help me through the judicial system. I don’t know where to start. I need victims advocate. I was I was legally evicted while fleeing domestic violence, and during Covid the presidential mandate stay safe at home and the CDC mandate no eviction. The public put in harms way purposesly . I have video evidence of the sheriff coming to my home, forcing me and my company out of the house, threatening me and making me homeless by force no court paperwork or orders and no risk of eviction. I was at no risk for eviction. My landlord did not want me evicted. While fleeing domestic violence, I’m not supposed to be evicted from anywhere.. I know there’s ethic violations I need help I don’t know where to start. I can’t seem to get help from anyone. I’m low income, but I will pay

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse and harassment you've been facing from law enforcement, especially while dealing with domestic violence and homelessness. You have the right to safe and stable housing, and there are organizations that can help advocate for you. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Contact Legal Aid of West Virginia. They provide free civil legal services to low-income individuals, including assistance with housing issues, domestic violence, and disability rights. You can call their intake line at 1-866-255-4370 or apply online at https://legalaidwv.org/.

2. Reach out to the West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence (WVCADV). They can connect you with local domestic violence advocates who can provide support, resources, and help you navigate the legal system. Call their 24/7 hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or visit their website at https://wvcadv.org/.

3. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division. They investigate and prosecute cases of police misconduct and abuse. You can file a complaint online at https://www.justice.gov/crt/filing-complaint or by calling 1-877-218-5228.

4. Consider contacting the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of West Virginia. They advocate for individuals' civil rights and may be able to provide guidance or assistance in your case. Visit their website at https://www.acluwv.org/ or call (304) 345-9246.

5. Document everything. Keep detailed records of all incidents of harassment, abuse, or misconduct by law enforcement. Save any related documents, photos, or videos that support your case.

6. Seek support from local disability rights organizations, such as Disability Rights of West Virginia (https://www.drofwv.org/). They may be able to provide additional resources and advocacy.

Remember, you have the right to be treated with respect and dignity, and there are organizations ready to help you assert your rights. Don't hesitate to reach out for assistance, and keep advocating for yourself. You deserve justice and support during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.