Eugene, OR asked in Tax Law for Oregon

Q: Is a California SCorp K-1 income subject to Supportive Housing Services (SHS) or Preschool for all (PFA) personal taxes?

I receive a K-1 from a California S-corp.

This S-corp itself has remote employees all over, including Oregon, but is a California company.

Am I, as a full time resident of Portland, OR, required to report this K-1 income on either the SHS or PFA return?

If so, what is the Jurisdiction that I need to choose when reporting this income: Multnomah County or Metro?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information provided, it seems you are a resident of Portland, Oregon, and receive income from a California S-Corp through a K-1 form. In this case, you may be subject to the Supportive Housing Services (SHS) tax and the Preschool for All (PFA) tax, which are local taxes in the Portland metro area.

1. Supportive Housing Services (SHS) tax:

The SHS tax is imposed on individuals with income above certain thresholds who reside within the Metro district, which includes Multnomah, Clackamas, and Washington counties. If your primary residence is within the Metro district, your California S-Corp income reported on the K-1 would likely be subject to the SHS tax.

2. Preschool for All (PFA) tax:

The PFA tax is a Multnomah County tax that applies to residents with income above certain thresholds. If you reside in Multnomah County, your K-1 income would likely be subject to the PFA tax as well.


Since you are a full-time resident of Portland, Oregon, which is located within Multnomah County, you would choose Multnomah County as the jurisdiction when reporting your income for both the SHS and PFA taxes.

However, it's essential to consult with a tax professional familiar with Oregon and Portland metro area tax laws to ensure accurate reporting and compliance with local tax requirements, as there may be specific rules or exceptions based on your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.