Asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Illinois

Q: Just wondering if there is anything to be done following a recent hospital stay for my mom and negligence.

There were too many mis-steps, mistakes, and missed communications. Trust has been broken. Not reading the patient's chart and learning some history, along with myself and my wife NOT being in the room to stop two different 'therapies' that could have led to life threatening if not life ending consequences.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. I'm sorry for your family's ordeal here. An attorney would need more information, but as a general note, the standard for legal action is generally based on ACTUAL damages suffered by a patient - not a standard of "could have" led to life-threatening consequences. I hope your mother is okay. The best way to answer your question would be to reach out to attorneys in Illinois to try to arrange a free initial consult to discuss in further detail. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.