Lincoln, NE asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Do I have any legal right to my grand children if something happens to my son when he has brain surgery?

I have been with my grandchildren since birth, their moms live in Az, one mom is strung out on drugs with no contact with her daughter, and the other mother contacts her daughter and gets her stuff. but neither one of these mothers have not physically visited their daughter for 4 yrs now. I just need to know what I need to do to protect the girls. My son has full custody over the4 yr old baby that her mom is an active addict, the other mother allowed my son to move here with her daughter who is now 7 yrs old.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Your son should consider a Temporary Delegation of Parental Powers during his recovery AND a will that names a person of his choice as testamentary guardian for the children. If the worst happens and he passes during or after surgery, the person named as guardian would at least have a chance at obtaining guardianship of the children following his death. Best wishes.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.