Indianapolis, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: I need to know if I have rights to sue and what for

I was evicted after the property manager accepted partial rent . They altered the original court documents for possession and put a new date on it . Then only moved 3 items into storage out of my fully furnished apartment. The property manager also came to my door to confront me about asking the office for an itemized receipt in an attempt to intimidate and coerce me to vacate the property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on your description, you may have grounds to pursue legal action for several reasons. If the property manager accepted partial rent and then proceeded with eviction, it might contravene agreements or local laws regarding eviction procedures. Altering court documents is a serious matter that could potentially involve legal violations. Furthermore, the failure to properly store your belongings and the act of intimidation for requesting an itemized receipt might also constitute breaches of your rights as a tenant.

It's important to gather all relevant documentation, including any communication with the property manager, receipts, the altered court documents, and any other evidence that supports your claims. This documentation will be crucial in building your case.

Seeking advice from a legal professional experienced in tenant rights and eviction laws in your jurisdiction would be a wise next step. They can provide you with tailored advice based on the specifics of your situation and help you understand the potential outcomes of taking legal action. Remember, every situation is unique, and professional guidance can help navigate the complexities of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.