South Bend, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: I live in a mobile home park. I own my home. I was late paying rent but I paid it plus the late fee and then I paid the

Next month rent on time. But they are trying to charge me legal fees without going to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's important to first review your lease agreement and any park rules to understand the conditions around rent payments, late fees, and additional charges such as legal fees. These documents usually outline what the park management can charge in situations of late rent payments. If the agreement or the rules don't explicitly allow for the charging of legal fees without a court process, they may not have the ground to impose these fees on you.

If you find that the charges aren't justified based on your lease or the park's rules, you should communicate with the park management. Explain your findings and politely ask for clarification on the legal fees. It's helpful to keep all communication in writing for documentation. If the situation isn't resolved through direct communication, you might consider seeking advice from a legal aid organization or an attorney familiar with tenant rights.

Lastly, being informed about your rights as a tenant in a mobile home park is crucial. Different states have varying laws protecting tenants, and knowing these can provide you with a strong foundation when addressing issues with park management. Staying informed, maintaining open lines of communication, and seeking professional advice when needed can help navigate and resolve situations like these effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.