Belleview, FL asked in Car Accidents for Florida

Q: My son is being sued for injuries in a crash. How does he request the medical records of the plaintiff?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Florida attorney could advise best and deserves the opportunity to respond first, but your question remains open for almost a week, and time is of the essence in a response here. If your son's car is insured, he should not be undertaking his defense by requesting the other side's medical records. That isn't how things work when the parties are insured. Instead, he should make a copy of the summons and complaint he was served with (and any accompanying paperwork) and present the original to the carrier IMMEDIATELY. There is a short window of time under civil rules to respond in virtually all jurisdictions nationwide. If he is insured, he should not lose time on public forums trying to learn how to defend such a lawsuit. He should immediately contact his carrier and tell them about the lawsuit. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.