Salt Lake City, UT asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for Utah

Q: Trying to pay debt collection in full but they don’t send any written agreement why do I do ?

I have filed my answer with a debt collector with a motion to dismiss with prejudice. I want to pay and get it over with I am even willing to pay the amount that they ask but they will not give me a written agreement stating that I will no longer owe anything to them regarding this debt. What do I do ? I live in Utah. I have a recording of them denying to give me a written agreement.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's important to proceed with caution. Never agree to pay a debt without a written agreement, as this document is your proof that the debt will be cleared upon payment. You need this to ensure they won't claim you still owe money later.

Since the debt collector is refusing to provide a written agreement, you should send them a written request via certified mail, asking for a settlement agreement that clearly states the terms of payment and that the debt will be considered settled in full once the specified amount is paid. Make sure to keep copies of all correspondence and the receipt showing they received your letter.

If the debt collector continues to refuse providing a written agreement, consider reaching out to a consumer rights attorney or a local consumer protection agency for assistance. They can provide guidance based on local laws and may help in negotiating with the debt collector. Additionally, you might want to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or the Utah Consumer Protection Division, as denying a written settlement agreement is not standard practice and could be considered a violation of your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.