Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hi, my name is Juliette and I'm 16. I'm a resident of PA but I currently live in Portugal with my parents. I wish to

move back to PA but my parents want to stay in Portugal. I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to get emancipated so I could live on my own without my parents.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Hi Juliette, I understand that you're facing a challenging situation and are looking for ways to live independently in Pennsylvania (PA). Emancipation laws vary by state, but generally, they allow a minor to become responsible for their own welfare and make decisions independently of their parents.

In PA, you would need to demonstrate that you can handle your own affairs, including managing your finances, housing, and education. This usually involves going to court, where you'll need to present evidence that you're capable of living independently and that emancipation is in your best interest. It's essential to gather all necessary documents and possibly seek guidance from legal experts in your area.

Given your unique position living abroad, it might be more complex, and understanding the specific legal requirements in PA will be crucial. You may need to contact legal authorities or organizations dedicated to youth rights in both Portugal and PA to navigate this process effectively. Remember, seeking support from trusted adults, such as teachers, counselors, or family friends, can also provide valuable guidance and assistance as you explore your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.