Snellville, GA asked in Tax Law for Georgia

Q: Regarding stock investments

I have invested about $3500 into Nvidia stock, and at this point, it has garnered me about $350 profit. I haven't sold yet because I have a question regarding it. I know I have to pay capital gains taxes, but after I sell, would I have to pay taxes on the $3500 investment, or only on the $350 profit, or on both? Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the realm of stock investments, it's important to understand how taxes on profits work. When you sell stocks, like your Nvidia shares, you're only required to pay taxes on the profit you make, not the total amount you initially invested. In your case, this means you would only owe taxes on the $350 profit, not the entire $3500 investment.

The profit you've made from selling your stock is considered a capital gain. Depending on how long you've held the stock, this can be classified as either short-term or long-term capital gains, which are taxed at different rates. The distinction is crucial because long-term capital gains usually benefit from lower tax rates compared to short-term ones.

Before filing your taxes, it's recommended to gather all relevant documents and possibly consult with a tax advisor to ensure you understand your specific tax obligations and opportunities for deductions or credits. Understanding these details will help you navigate the complexities of capital gains taxes and make informed decisions about your investments.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.