Minneapolis, MN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota

Q: I've given a 2 month notice to end lease, but the company changed. Can they still charge me for rent after the notice?

The new company claims they didn't get proper notice even though I have given notice and have moved out of the apartment. I have returned the keys. They're wanting to charge me another months rent claiming that I didn't give proper notice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have given a two-month notice as per your lease agreement and have documentation to back this up, you should be protected under most rental agreements and state laws. Ensure you have copies of the notice you provided, any acknowledgment received from the old company, and any other relevant communications. This evidence is crucial to prove that you complied with the terms of your lease.

The change in management does not nullify your previous agreement or the notice you provided. However, communication issues between the old and new management companies can occur. It's important to provide the new company with copies of all documentation proving that you properly gave notice according to the terms of your lease.

If the new company continues to insist on charging you for an additional month's rent, you may need to seek legal advice. A legal professional can help clarify your rights and assist you in communicating with the new management effectively. They can also represent you if the matter escalates to legal action. Remember, your rights and obligations are based on the lease agreement and state laws, not on the change of the management company.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.