Bellefonte, PA asked in Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: The state police.put a bruise on my arm and put cuffs on my surgery wrist so tight it bruise my bone

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you believe your rights were violated or you were injured due to excessive force, it's important to document everything related to the incident. This includes taking photos of your injuries, getting medical records to document the severity, and writing down a detailed account of what happened as soon as possible. You should also note any witnesses and their contact information.

You may want to consider speaking with an attorney who has experience in civil rights or personal injury law. They can provide guidance on your legal options and help you understand if you have a case. Legal professionals can also advise on the best way to proceed, whether it's filing a complaint against the police department or pursuing legal action.

Additionally, you could file a complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or a civilian complaint board, if available in your area. They investigate incidents involving police officers and misconduct. Remember, seeking support from friends, family, or professionals such as counselors can be beneficial during this stressful time. Take care of your physical and mental health.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.