McKinney, TX asked in Family Law and Probate for Missouri

Q: Does emergency guardianship override parental custody rights?

I have a five year old daughter and I let her go with my ex whom is not her biological father he was supposed to return her and didn’t so I reported her missing. Somehow 24 hours after she was reported missing a lady I used to live with got granted emergency guardianship. I don’t even know how she got there I don’t say my daughter could go there. I told the police I wanted to press charges on the gentleman for kidnapping and they haven’t so should I go to a higher police department or is what they’re doing legal? It’s been six weeks since I’ve seen or talked to my daughter and I’m about to lose my mind I miss her so much. The lady is refusing to let me have contact with her. Our first court date isn’t until April 9th. Can I not go to a different police department and tell them what’s going on and we go get my daughter from this lady? There’s no order of protection or exparte.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lloyd  Nolan
Lloyd Nolan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: No, you're parental rights override a temporary guardianship. You need to hire an attorney and contest this in the probate court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.