Winder, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can I terminate parental rights of my ex-husband who has not paid child support and over a year?

I have sole legal custody and physical custody of my children. my ex-husband is not allowed to contact us and I have a restraining order. Can I terminate parental rights? he also has not paid child support and over a year due to being incarcerated on domestic violence charges against me. What can I do legally? I honestly don’t care about the child support. I just want his rights terminated. I am terrified of him.

2 Lawyer Answers
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler

A: Well it sounds like your ex-husband was abusive to you and a terrible spouse, I am not seeing why a court would at this point terminate his parental rights. By your own account he's not permitted to contact you. Does this extend your child? What rights can he presently exercise while he is in jail? My view is if he continues to not exercise any of his present rights for an extended period of time, no less than a year, AND continues not to pay support then you MAY be able to file a motion terminating his rights. Were this matter in my state of OHIO the court would not count his period of incarceration against him for not exercising parental time as that is an impossibility.

Joshua Schiffer agrees with this answer

Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The first step is to go to a local family lawyer you have good chemistry with, as this process is going to be intimate.

There are lots of good reasons to terminate parental rights, and you need to explore all of those with a trusted professional as well as the downsides to that move. The process itself is straightforward, and it all depends on the position of the other party. If they cant or wont participate in the process you will have a very strong case on top of the violence you will already be able to share with the court.

Get a LOCAL lawyer, thats where to start.

Best of Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.