Hermitage, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If a PFA was filled on me. Do I have to leave an establishment if the plantife happen to come there

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order has been filed against you, it's crucial to understand the specific conditions stipulated within that order. Generally, if the order prohibits contact with the plaintiff, and you find yourself in the same establishment as them, it is your responsibility to leave immediately to avoid any direct or indirect contact. Violating a PFA order, even unintentionally, can lead to severe legal consequences.

Maintaining a safe distance from the plaintiff is essential, regardless of who arrived first at the location. This action is not only for their protection but also serves to protect you from potential legal complications. In some jurisdictions, the specifics of the order may vary, so it's crucial to thoroughly understand the details of your PFA.

Finally, if you're unsure about the specifics of your PFA or what actions to take in certain situations, it's advisable to seek legal guidance. Legal advisors can provide clarity on your rights and obligations under the order. Staying informed and cautious can help prevent unintended violations and ensure that you comply with legal requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.