Pittsburgh, PA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If you do not come to a PFA hearing can you get arrested?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are involved in a Protection From Abuse (PFA) case and fail to attend the hearing, the consequences depend on your role in the case. If you are the petitioner, the one who requested the PFA, not showing up could result in the dismissal of your case. This means the protective order may not be granted, and you could lose the legal protection you were seeking.

If you are the respondent, the one the PFA is against, not attending the hearing can have serious consequences. The court may issue a default judgment against you, meaning the protective order could be granted in your absence, potentially imposing various restrictions on you. However, typically, you won't be arrested simply for not appearing at the PFA hearing. But, if a protective order is issued and you violate its terms, then you could be arrested.

It's crucial to take all court dates seriously and attend them unless you have a very compelling reason not to. If you cannot attend, it's advisable to contact the court as soon as possible to explain your situation and see if the hearing can be rescheduled. Ignoring court orders or hearings can lead to further legal complications, so it's best to address them head-on and seek legal advice if needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.