Bloomington, MN asked in Child Support for Minnesota

Q: Child support lowered

My ex got his child support lowered based on his hourly wage. He has worked a consistent and predictable overtime schedule since before we split. Shouldn’t that be calculated into his support obligation? Before we went to court his lawyer offered me a deal that included the overtime, but he wanted to add first right of refusal. I agreed to the amount but not to the first right of refusal, so they took me back to court. I couldn’t afford the lawyer I had previously any more (525/hr) So I went hoping the judge would look at the calculator his lawyer provide me but it was not admissible and I did not know that. What should I do? Do I have a case to refile and fight for the overtime to be included?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Unfortunately, it seems you had your day in court and may be prevented from taking any further steps at this time. Perhaps you can seek reconsideration or alike. Without knowing exactly what happened it is hard to advise. Perhaps you can afford a limited-scope representation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.