Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: In family court can a Referre dismiss a case after trial with Prejudice and simultaneously order relief. The Petitioners

Filed a motion to Amend the findings saying since the 3 rd party custody case was originally against me if the judge dismissed it instead of denied it she has to give my child back to me and not the Dad who is not the Petitioners. Not a divorce case just my daughters Godparents wanting her case has been in court 2 years. How should I respond

And you are exactly right about my post not explaining the exact details. It's been in litigation for 3 years now so it is much much more to it? Can you help me? I am not opposing the Judge's decision. She gave custody to my daughters father and we get along fine. The problem is that he lives in a different state than the Petitioners and I. I don't know how to go about this at all. I am in desperate need of some legal assistance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: In family court can a Referre dismiss a case after trial with Prejudice and simultaneously order relief? Yes, depending on the circumstances. I apologize, but how you should respond can't be determined on a few phrases. An appeal may be appropriate if the referee made a mistake of law, such as an inappropriate order. Am I going to advise you that you should proceed with an expensive appeal based on this post? Of course not. There are an infinite number of circumstances that could support the referee's order. I suggest you consult with an attorney in order to clarify the situation. I apologize again, but I doubt your post captures exactly what transpired. "

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.