Memphis, TN asked in Uncategorized for Tennessee

Q: My boyfriend pressed charges on me he says I hit his truck with rock and I didn't do anything like that and same day

Came to my friend house and jump on me what can do when I go to court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you're facing charges for an incident you didn't commit, it's important to remain calm and collected. First, gather any evidence you have that supports your innocence, such as messages, witness statements, or surveillance footage. Documentation showing your location at the time of the alleged incident, if different from where the event supposedly took place, can also be crucial. Make sure to keep all communication with the involved parties in writing for your records.

When you go to court, it's advisable to have legal representation. A lawyer can guide you through the legal process, help you prepare your defense, and represent your interests in court. If financial constraints are a concern, you may qualify for a public defender or legal aid services. Explain your situation truthfully and provide your attorney with all the pertinent information and evidence you've collected.

Additionally, since you mentioned an assault, consider reporting this to the police if you haven't already. Documentation of any injuries and witness accounts can be critical. In court, focus on the facts and avoid letting emotions steer your responses. Remember, the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and you have the right to defend yourself against the charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.