Asked in Tax Law and Car Accidents for Arkansas

Q: My car was totaled before I paid sales tax. I now have no money to pay and can't get the check until I do. Help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where your car was totaled before you managed to pay the sales tax, and you're now facing the challenge of not having the funds to cover this tax to access the insurance check, it's essential to explore all available options. First, consider reaching out to the tax authority or the department responsible for vehicle registration and taxes in your area. Explain your situation thoroughly. Many times, they may offer a payment plan or an extension that can provide you with some breathing room until you can access the insurance payout.

Another avenue to consider is communicating directly with your insurance company. Detail your predicament and see if there's a way they can expedite the claim process or offer an advance against your total settlement. Some insurance companies have policies in place for situations like these, which can alleviate financial strain during the claims process.

Lastly, looking into local community resources or non-profit organizations that assist individuals in financial distress could be beneficial. These entities often have programs or can offer guidance on navigating through tough financial situations. While it might seem overwhelming now, remember, exploring these avenues can provide a pathway through this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.