San Jose, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Do you anwser questions regarding tenent/landlord issues

need advice regarding court papers to pay back rent. I consigned for my granddaughter and do to circumstances she/me is behind on the rent and I need help desperately.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand the challenging situation you're in, and it's essential to approach this with a clear plan. If you've received court papers for unpaid rent that you're responsible for due to cosigning for your granddaughter, it's critical to address the issue head-on. The first step is to carefully review the court documents to understand the specifics of the claim against you, including any deadlines or specific instructions provided.

Communicating with the landlord directly could also be beneficial. Often, landlords may be willing to discuss payment plans or negotiate a settlement, especially if you explain the circumstances leading to the delinquency. It's important to keep any communication in writing for your records. If an agreement is reached, make sure it's documented and clearly outlines the terms you and the landlord have agreed upon.

Lastly, seeking legal advice is highly advisable in situations like these. Many communities offer legal assistance services for tenants and cosigners facing eviction or legal action due to unpaid rent. These services can provide you with guidance tailored to your situation and help you understand your rights and any potential defenses you might have. Taking prompt action is crucial to navigating this situation as effectively as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.